
This is a picture of me playing my old trumpet Gayle. She was crushed in a car accident after I played a gig at the Church on the 4th of July in '99. She was a very nice, very expensive horn and I took good care of her. We were going to run away to Boston together until the accident separated us forever. I miss her and the beautiful music we played.
This is my new baby, I don't have a name for her yet. She's australian made and about 1/4 as good a horn as Gayle was. She'll have to do for now. It's been a long time since I played so I'm getting my chops worked up, but it was clear form the first note, she ain't no Gayle. I thought about naming her Grace because I'm going to need a lot of it to get back my old self. But I'm not sure I want to give such a classy name to a horn that is a filler until I can get a new girl. Maybe I'll call her Maude, a good classic name, but not too pretty, kind of like this horn...good, but not too pretty. We'll make music together but it won't jive as well, it will be hard to find the groove and stay in the pocket...Maude. I think I like it, it fits.
-El trompetista de la triste figura

7 comments:
I'm glad you have a trumpet that you can play now. Now you almost have a band with the piano!
I kind of like the name Milldrid. But if you name her Maude, you need to throw in some good ole interesting Utah spelling like: Modd, or moued.
RIP Gayle.
I don't know if I have told you this or not:
the link on your blog to Jason Graham. I believe he grew up with my VT companion - Brianne Burley Stephens. Sorry if that's random, I just think it's weird how anyone can 'link' to anyone else. Cool.
Thank you for the lovely anecdote.
Hi I'm just checking to see if this works, because I don't have a log in name. Love the Blog!
I'm so glad you have a trumpet again and I do love the name. Dad loved hearing you play happy brithday for him.
Mom
Post a Comment