This discussion has kept me thinking, though. What else do I do that Einstein considers insane? If you really think about it, logically, it's unreasonable to expect a different result from the same activity. You make a PB & J sandwich, but expect it to taste like tuna. It's impossible. It's like the person expecting to lose weight without making any lifestyle changes. Or like myself, who knows that I need 8 hours of sleep to feel rested, but still go to bed at midnight on a regular basis when my kids are up at 7:30 am. Habits are a hard thing to break!
Sometimes I think I'm really going to be insane in this adventure called motherhood. At the same time, I think being a parent requires a small amount of insanity. Or as Janet Long said, "Part of being sane, is being a little bit crazy." Why else would I keep on raising my kids with a happy face and want to add more kids in the future? Because I love it, even with the moments where I can't believe what is happening. Like two hours ago, when Jilly had finally finished smearing the entire upper half of her body with strawberry yogurt while I was starting dinner, and then reached into her diaper, pulled some poop out (which I did not know was there) and held it out for me to see saying, "Mommy! Poop! Out!" Which I followed with, "Ewww! Gross, gross, gross! Do not put your hand down your diaper! That's disgusting!" She didn't seem to understand that idea, which is why that's not the first time this has happened. Or the time last week when she pulled the soaker pad from the tray of fresh chicken meat I had just bought out of the trash and began to bite and suck on it. I prayed for 4 nights after that she wouldn't get salmonella poisoning. And any time on the phone these days is an adventure, unless I lock myself in a room, because both girls come up to me, pull on me or sit on me shreiking, "Mommy! Who is it? Is it Ganma? Is it Daddy? I wanna say hi! I wanna say hi!" All of this repeated at least 6 times of course. Yesterday I was trying to read and Evelyn sensed my attention was not on her, and proceeded to be completely irritating, bothering Jilly at every moment, sitting on her, pushing her over, and then waiting for my expression as Jilly screamed and squealed. At this very moment, both girls are whining with Evelyn sitting on the computer desk figuring out what to scribble on next, and Jilly bringing in every spare blanket and stuffed animal into the office to make a gigantic sleeping pile.
There are a lot of sweet moments too, and they are what make this all worthwhile. Even now, I can read most of this and laugh. Good thing too, there's a lot of it to come in the future.
11 comments:
I'm pretty insane too. That sounds like a funny conversation an makes pretty good sense too. Man, being a mom sure is exasperating. Just reading your e-mail makes me exhausted, but maybe it has to do with the fact that we did many of the same things today. I'm similar to you on the sleep thing. I really should go to be earlier. My kids like getting up around 6 am lately.
Having kids share a rooms does have it's ups and downs. I might give up but we'll see. We would love to have you come see our new place and hang. Maybe a BBQ or something fun. Though we don't have a grill and our backyard is dirt. Hmm...
Wow! You guys are great. I appreciate the example of maturity from you two. It sounds like you two had a difficult discussion and know you both learn and grow from it. I loved the Einstein advise. I told Erin she should read it. There is a lot of truth to the comment. Keep up the good work. I know that you're both great parents and we can't wait to see you guys in a couple of days.
According to Ben I have always been crazy or insane, he drove me to it:)
I LOVE this post. Especially since I usually go to sleep hours after I put Brogan to bed and then I'm so tired in the morning. The sad part is, he is the cutest happiest baby in the morning and I want to be more awake for that. Also if you think about it. If you need 8-9 hours of sleep then so do your kids. If you put them down at 7:30pm then they are going to naturally want to wake up at 4:30 in the morning. If you want them to sleep until 7 or 8 and you put them to bed at 7:30 then you are asking them to sleep for 12 hours straight and that is hard for anyone to do. Just a thought. You are such a great mom. You were always a patient roomate and it sounds like you are a very patient mommy too. Oh and the Salmanella thing would have terrified me as well!
Wow, this post is a real humdinger! To clarify, if it is possible to do so, our discussion was not at all contentious. It was more theoretical. Shaunie is the most unselfish person I know and I greatly admire her. I'm trying to live up her high standard.
He he he.... Ben I dont' think anyone misunderstood. I think its really funny though that I've heard that saying before (about being insane...) but unlike you I didn't read it in some smart book, I heard it on a sandra Bullock movie! And By the way I think its great that you actually get on here, I have a hard time getting Jeremy to Blog.
What good insight. Thanks for sharing! And, yes, out of all the ewww gross moments, there are the moments you wouldn't be able to live without!
Shaunie, loved your post! It brings back memories when my kids were little....and now I get to enjoy and laugh as my own kids get to go through experiences of parenthood. Life is such an adventure!
Connie
Shaunie, You did go to one of my dance performances silly. I remember you and Ben went to CDT in Concert together. I remember because afterwards Ben had a cool conversation about what each dance "meant" and no one ever wanted to do that. You ahd to go because you had to write a paper on it for you begining modern class. (why I remember this I have no Idea)
Anyway I remember one time you had out a frying pan and were cutting up veggies into it. I asked you what you were making and you said "I'm not sure yet" and later it was a really cool meal. I still to this day am baffled that you could start out not knowing what you were making and end up with something edible.
So I laughed so hard when I read what Ben said, "Sometimes I think you're insane." Haha. So like Ben. I had never heard that defenition before, but them someone talked abot it in church in a talk. Very interesting. I love how you hear something, and then you keep hearing it over and over. Coincidence? I don't think so. Now I just need to figure out why I'm "insane". !!
Funny, Shaunie. So does Jilly have salmonella or not? :) I laughed thinking of your frantic mom prayers. It reminds me of a time when I was pregnant and jumping on a big trampoline. After my sister-in-law said I shouldn't do that, panic set in, and I started praying like crazy that I hadn't just given my unborn child brain damage. Good thing most of the things we worry about don't happen. Anyway thanks for your post, it was really enlightening!
Post a Comment