It finally happened. Evelyn asked for a pet yesterday.
"Mommy, I want a pet. We need to go to the pet store to get it."
As far as I knew, she didn't know what a pet was, much less that there are whole stores dedicated to them. "What kind of pet do you want?"
"A kitty."
Now I'm trying to put off the inevitable truth. "What color do you want it to be?"
"A pink kitty."
"Well my dear, your Daddy is allergic to cats. When he gets around them, he sneezes a lot and can't breathe very well. So he has to stay away from kitties."
"Oh." (A little disappointed.) "How 'bout a dog?"
"Um, where we're moving I don't think we can have a dog. A little apartment isn't much fun for a dog anyway. Don't you think it would like a place where it can run around a lot?"
"Oh, yeah."
"So maybe, when we have a house and yard, we'll get a dog. Alright?"
"Okay."
She took this all much better than I thought she would, not being terribly disappointed. I think this must have been the result of something she saw on Sesame Street.
I'm not a fan of cats myself, and I read a very interesting news article about their ability to manipulate, see here. Ben grew up with them so he favors them over dogs. But we found out a few years ago he's allergic to them, so we will definitely not be having cats in our home. I still think, maybe, if the kids can convince their Dad, we'll have a dog (a small/medium size one) outside.
Do you/will you have pets at some point?
10 comments:
Only fish.
My dad's allergic to all pet hair, so I just tell the kids that we can't have one because then Grandpa wouldn't be able to come over. (It's kind of an exaggeration, but we aren't pet people anyway, so it's what the kids know.)They do like to play with my husband's parent's dog though and get their fill of pet time with him.
if we ever move out of the city, we'll probably get an outdoor dog. kaden kept asking for one before we moved into our house, but hasn't since. interesting. glad ev wasn't traumatized by you reply.
yes, this is definitely from Sesame Street. I happened to be watching it yesterday (I think Max might be absorbing something, even if he isn't paying any attention), and Oscar went to the pet store to get a pet for his pet worm (yes, a pet for Slimey), and the worm wanted an insect. I never saw what happened, though...
I am allergic to cats and dogs and I don't like cats, so the kids know one day we will be getting an outside dog one day. The always ask for pets and we told them they could have a fish. So now we need to go get a fish, I guess. the new sibling is sort of like a pet. Maybe that's why they've quit asking this week.
Michelle's pet cat, Yoda, became my pet when she left home for college and then got married. Her husband is allergic to cats so she couldn't take him. When he died this spring we decided no more pets.
BTW, chickens aren't pets, they are livestock. You can't eat a cat! (unless..well you know who does Ü)
I noticed you changed the back of your blog from the mountains of Provo to the beach. Isn't that a bit premature?
Chad and I both say, "No." But we also know kids can learn a lot from having a pet, so maybe something small and not too messy some day.
I finally broke down and got a couple of kittnes. He have mice,so we were hoping some cats would help the problem. They are and will always be outside cats!!
We would love to have a dog-when we have a house! We have to get together before you go!!! When is a good time?
We have two dogs... we were only supposed to have one.. but I have a husband and he has his own mind... dang it... :).. but we love them, and they are indoor/outdoor dogs.. I did it so my kids wouldn't have fear issues as well as allergies... plus they would learn some responsibility, although at 4 and 2, they really just like to play in the dog food instead of feed them, oh well they will learn!
Post a Comment