This first half of June has flown by, I haven't written about what we've been up to for nearly a month. So here it goes:
Beach. We've been just a few times, the last month has been cooler and windy, making the beach chilly instead of warm and sunny. But you still get sunburned. I knew that, but just didn't know how bad I could still be scorched. I've gotten an equal amount of bad sunburns in the short time we've been in CA to how many I had in my entire life up to this point.
Roseola. I thought this was a mild childhood illness. It was for Evelyn. Well, Gordon got it over Memorial Day weekend, and yuck. He had a fever and sore throat for almost a week, and didn't want to eat, drink, or sleep for about 4 of those days. I thought he had an ear infection, and then the docs tell me it was the flu, and then the Roseola rash shows up when he's feeling better. I'm glad that's over.
Grandma and Grandpa Chickens. Evelyn has been telling our friends about this for weeks. They came to visit us for 5 days, and then were staying in LA for a conference. The girls spent one night with them in the hotel next to the Staples Center, so when one of the NBA finals game got out, Grandma took the girls out on the pool deck to watch all the people party and mingle. They have great, big spotlights there, and those were fun to watch too, I guess. They spent the next morning swimming and walking around, and Gordon and I met them for lunch. The kids loved the adventure, and Jilly loved all the hotel samples because they're miniature like she is.
World Cup. I really had no concept of World Cup until 2006, when Ben watched soccer games for a month. Well this time around, I'm prepared and know what World Cup fever is about (sort of). I was out on the playground during the USA/England match and I hear several apartments resound with "GOOOOAAAL!," all out of sync with each other depending on the broadcast they were watching. It was funny.
Kindergarten registration. This has been an enormous pain in the rear for me. Getting Ev into school here is like applying for college. Minus the financial aid information. It's ridiculous and I'm tired of thinking I've got all my papers together only to find I've forgotten one of the 12 documents they require.
Summer School. Speaking of Evelyn, trying to keeping this almost 5 year old contained and content is becoming a real job. So I'm doing my own pre-school of sorts to keep her stimulated to some extent, and hopefully save some sanity in the process. Jilly will love it.
And speaking of Jillian, I cut her hair to just above her shoulders the other night, and Ben and I are convinced that she is now sassier because of it. In a good and not-so-good way. She's growing up, and slowly coming out of the "I'm a little baby! Hold me! Cuddle me! I own mommy's lap!" phase, and into the "I'm trying to figure out how to be a bigger girl" phase. I welcome this transition, and it's going to be fun watching her mature with Evelyn going to school in the fall.
Gordon is losing some of his technology obsession (thank goodness, you can hear the cell phone sigh with relief). He's not as interested in it anymore, and actually becoming a little entertained by things like balls, cars, and trains. He usually wants someone to play toys with him, and when alone, he'll still go for electrically powered devices. His newest trick is to push the footstool over to our tall kitchen garbage can, which he then climbs onto, and from there, onto the kitchen counter where he pushes microwave buttons or tries to do the dishes. He is walking pretty well now (finally!).
Redecorating. I'm moving things around again, for probably at least the third time. I'm moving mostly wall hangings, and finding some new stuff. I just get in these "creative frenzies," I don't know what else to call them. I get stuck on something for about 3 weeks to a month, and then I'm ready to move onto something else. Right now it's redecorating. It's probably brought on by the new valance Grandma Chickens made for the kid's room while she was here.
The girls have been slumber partying it on my bedroom floor to get Gordon used to sleeping in his crib. Tonight they are back in their room. Hopefully we'll have 3 kids sleeping through the night!
3 comments:
Hudson got roseola before we left town in May. SO FUN! I love the updates. We still miss you.
So are your kids all in the same room? Did it work out? Sounds exciting! We still don't have a plan with how we are situating our kids with #3 almost here. It will be an adventure. Sounds like your life is full of those! I love the pictures of your kids. Jilly's hair is super cute and Evelyn look so gorgeous and grown up!
Shaunie,
I LOVE your hair! Jillian's looks adorable also! I'm glad you get to go to the beach-I wish I could go!! Guess I'll have to settle for the pool:( Thanks so much for your advice about the baby. He's sleeping pretty good now. Wakes up once or twice during the night:) Yey! He's growing fast! It's good to know someone understands what you're going through. Congrats on Evelyn starting school. Have you seen the preschool websited on my blog? They are great-check them out for use with your preschool. Good luck! Luv ya!
Post a Comment