Thursday, February 23, 2012

The things they say...

Me: Gordon, why is your shirt all wet?
Him: Because i' was raining on my shirt.

Our fire alarm went off on a Sunday afternoon in January when we were all changing our clothes after church, so we hauled Gordon and Jilly out in blankets. Gordon was totally traumatized. (Our fire alarms are louder than any fire alarm out there. They could wake the dead). Now whenever he hears an alarm-type noise, he'll ask if it's a fire alarm. It's also a topic of choice for him to discuss with whoever will listen.

He also likes to talk about In 'n' Out. He'll say, "I wan' two double-doubles and fries. Wid ketchup." He randomly threw this out one day in December, not long after our friend Ed had stayed with us. We had eaten at In 'n' Out with Ed one night and he had ordered two double-doubles. I guess Gordon was really impressed by that or something.

During one of my piano lessons with a student named Nate (same age as Evelyn).
Evelyn: Mom, I have something to discuss with you.
Me: Uh, discuss with me? (I was giggling at her very grown-up choice of words).
Nate (looking incredulous): What six-year old uses the word "discuss"?

Today, taking down all the Christmas cards and pictures.
Evelyn: Mom, why are you taking down all the pictures?
Me: Because.
Evelyn: "Because" is not an excuse, Mom.
Me: Um, it was time to take them down.
Evelyn: Why is it time to take them down?
Me: Uh...

Jilly is locked into the, "Why (enter question here)?" phase. She's just trying to figure out why we all do what we do. "Mom, what is this big box (my hope chest) for? Is that our quilt? Why are you folding it up that way? (So it fits in the chest). When did you make it? (This summer at Grandma's). Was that when I was two? Or when I was five? (When you were four.) How did you do it? Did Daddy make this little clock when he was little? How did he make it? Why is there a crack in it? Is this Evelyn's book? How did she make all the pictures? And on and on and on...

As I'm finishing this post.
Evelyn: Mom.....Mom.....Mom....You need to read my homework.......Mom.....Mom....Mo-om! Is your brain broken? You need to read it.
Me: "Is my brain broken?"
Evelyn: Laughing and laughing.

No comments: