Gordon climbs into bed with me most nights, and stays if Ben is not sleeping in bed with me. He's my "bed buddy." I must be sleeping deeper, because I couldn't tolerate the girls in bed. They were so squirmy. It's fun to wake up with him, he says really sweet stuff in the morning. This morning he asked, "Who's going to baptize me?" and I re-directed his own question back at him. He answered, "John-a-da Baptist. He's going to baptize you." I told him that Grandpa Cows baptized me and that Daddy was going to baptize him. Gordon got a big, sleepy grin on his face and rolled over to doze for a few more minutes. He didn't come into bed at night with me for all of vacation. I'm trying to figure out why that is...
Last night at family home evening, Evelyn taught a lesson about following the prophet. She asked Gordon, "What would Jesus tell you to do if you were a prophet?" (she had some interesting questions!). Gordon answered, "He said he's going to give me a golden whistle!" Gordon picked up this golden whistle connection with Jesus a few months ago, and I've got no idea where it came from. But it is funny.
He loves bare-back scratches, just like his Daddy. Evelyn loves these too.
His favorite stories right now are Harold and the Purple Crayon.
He likes to give me kisses, which are pretty slobbery and like dog-licks lately.
He likes to take whatever clothes are in his reach and stow them in the crack between my bed, Ben's bike and the wall. I was making up the bed while Ben was talking to the kids on the webcam in my room tonight, and came around to this particular side of bed and yelled, "Gordon!!" when I stepped on a big pile of now unsorted laundry. Ben quickly asked, "Did you just find a pile of clothes?" He didn't even need to be present in the room to know what happened.
Ben was putting Gordon to bed and Gordon put his arms around Ben's neck and said, "Dad, I love your hairs. Your hairs on your cheeks, on your this (the back of Ben's head), your back, on your head, your beard, and your what's this, above your nose?" (pointing to Ben's mustache, I think he meant to say under your nose")
"It's my mustache."
"Mustache," he says with a cute grin, and rolls over to sleep.
He's converting his pronouns. When we say prayers at night, and I say, "Please help Gordon to..," he can convert it to, "Please help me to..." I never noticed this as much with the girls. Probably because I had an infant to care for when they were both going through this stage.
Evelyn's bedtime conversation tonight. "Mom, can little girls fall in love?"
"Well, I don't think you can really fall in love that young, but you can really like someone because they're a good friend and you get along really well."
Thoughtful pause.
"Who is it?" I asked.
Coy smile like she's not going to tell me anything. "Well, he moved away and I don't know if you even have his address."
"Well, if his family was good friends with ours, chances are we sent them a Christmas card and we have their address. You could write him a letter. Is it the ____ family?"
Another coy smile. "Yeah, we could just play outside for hours and hours. What kind of stamps do we have?"
I need to have a plug for Jill...she picked out her school back-pack at Costco yesterday, and has been having a little bit of a rough last week, I think in anticipation for for kindergarten starting in a couple weeks. She told me today the only part she's afraid of is the part where I leave and she stays at the classroom. Yeah sweetie, that part is kind of hard for "Momma" too. She's the only kid that calls me "Momma." I'm Mommy to Ev and Gordon.
Oh man, my kids are growing up. I don't know how ready I am for it. :)
"We can't smile when the sun is shining on our faces!"

1 comment:
This made me really miss your family!! You really are such a great mom and have such great kids. I miss our park visits and talks. For some reason Blake keeps asking to move back to Irvine, he calls this our fake house. He's not a fan of the freezing weather we have been having.
Post a Comment