Monday, September 30, 2013

What we did in September besides go to Disneyland

 Sunday afternoon bike rides. Here with Peter the Anteater. Side note: I have always thought of the anteater as a not-so-stellar mascot. However, UC-Santa Cruz's mascot is the banana slug. "Go banana slugs!" Yeah, that's definitely worse. 


 First day of school. Far less emotional than last year's first day. Evelyn apparently got the strictest 3rd grade teacher (according to peers at school), but has liked her teacher and has done her homework more willingly this year than any other year. Jilly's teacher tells me the girls are really sweet together, helping each other out and waiting for each other when they're headed to the same place. It's good to hear they're buddies when away from home. I'm volunteering weekly in both classes this year, and that's been a new and fun experience.

 With only Gordon at home during the day, I've had to find stuff for him to do. He's not much of a "play alone" kid. We headed to this "farm" in Costa Mesa. Straw bales in the OC are a rare sight, and so they had to be climbed by he and his best friend.
Sunday night football. Ben hums/sings the song from the "football" scene in Disney's Robin Hood and hauls a different kid around. They love it.
 Aunt Chelle and Uncle Nate gave Ben this Mexican cookbook for his birthday. It inspired him to actually cook (this is a big feat in our kitchen). This was the first taco recipe we tried out, and it was fantastic.
 Gordon says he's allergic to church. He also asks why everyone in our apartment complex doesn't go to church. I told him not everyone does, and he's mad that he's one of the people that does go. Apparently singing time in Primary was too loud for him and his buddy on this Sunday. On Saturday he'll ask what day it is tomorrow, and I will answer, "church day." He answers with a stomp and a loud, "Aw-wwww!" or, "NO!" Sundays are fun times around here!

 Jilly's lost quite a few teeth in the last few months. Both top ones are now gone, and the other one on the bottom is about ready to fall out.
 We parted ways with the love seat we bought when we first moved here. The kids had broken the supports under the cushions, and it just couldn't begin to hold most of us anymore. Here the kids display their attachment to the couch.
Hello OC Craigslist! We managed to fit a barely used sofa and love seat in the living room. Four of the seats recline, and we can fit all of us and then some. I got the honor of taking the first nap on the couch.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

I burst out laughing when I read about Gordon being allergic to church! Blaine did the EXACT same thing! He would cover his ears to block out the music and seriously have breakdowns about going. One nice sister in the ward tried to troubleshoot his behavior by asking me if Paul or I express a bad attitude about church and pass it on to Blaine. After about 10 minutes of her going through a checklist of theories, I was just like, "I'm sure it's a phase . . . I don't think there's any need to analyze the deep psychological causes for it.