Saturday, July 26, 2008

One month left

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there is only one month left of summer, at least for us. Ben starts school September 2. I'm sad about it, I feel like we're just at the beginning of planning some fun little day trips, and seeing friends. Summer is never long enough for me. Oh well. Better make the most of it!

Last Sunday our friends Lynn and Erin invited us to a BBQ along with some old friends from Rexburg. We hadn't seen Lynn and Erin in 2 years, and Doug and Shannon in at least 4 years. We all got to know each other playing Canasta. Funny thing is, none of us have really played it since. It was a fun afternoon, Erin's parents have an awesome backyard with all sorts of stuff for kids. The trampoline was a favorite with Evelyn, because the only one she sees is in Washington.
This is the only non-blurry picture I got of Evelyn. The kids thought it was a good idea to jump off the rocks onto the tramp.
Erin, me, and Shannon standing around talking, the bulk of our activity for the afternoon.

Peyton and Jilly trying to figure out what to do with those tennis balls.


When we left Rexburg, Erin had just had Porter. It's fun to see how our families have grown.

On Wednesday, Ben called me and said, "I don't have class tomorrow." I asked why, and he said it was Pioneer Day. I have never gotten used to having everything shut down for the 24th. But it's awesome anyway. In our last minute planning, we decided to head up Provo Canyon in the morning. So we did miss the Days of '47 parade, maybe we'll try to hit it up next year. Jilly has been talking about waterfalls since Sunday when we drove up Provo Canyon, you can see a few of them from the road in Bridal Veil Falls Park. So we went there first and walked to the first one. If I had known there was a walking path, I would've brought my strollers so we could go further. The girls loved it, the waterfall came down into a very shallow pool they could walk around in. We saw a few hummingbirds, and it was nice that it was so much cooler in the canyon. Sadly, I forgot the camera in the car, and did not take any pictures. This post is long enough anyway. Next we headed up South Fork Canyon to the park I posted about a few weeks ago for a picnic.

The girls ate sandwiches better on a picnic than I have ever seen them eat at home. There is something about picnic/camping food that makes it taste better than usual.
Wading up the stream, in freezing cold water. I thought it would have warmed slightly since we were last here, but it was still as hypothermic to our feet as ever.


This is the first summer we have actually stopped in Provo Canyon to enjoy the beauty. And I kinda feel like a moron for it. We've lived here nearly 4 years. Heaven knows next summer, when we move, we won't be living as close to the mountains as we are here. We always said we were "too busy." Translate: it's easier to stay at home. I guess now with kids, I feel like we should be showing them nature so they one day have an appreciation for it. Unlike the kids Ben walked by today, in our complex, who were picking off every last flower in a flower bed. He told them they should stop, but they didn't listen. These were not little kids, they were older, and probably knew better. I hope our kids know better than that when they get older.


4 comments:

The Mothership said...

what fun you guys have had. It's always neat to see old friends. The waterfalls and picnics sound fun.

I was just thinking about the "teaching our kids to appreciate nature" yesterday. I hope we can do that!

Jeremy and Brigitte said...

I love the picture with everyone in it. Its so cute, you all have two kids about the same age. Fun times.

Di Cluff said...

I love the picture of Jilly eating the sandwich. She has more diaper than suit; ahh..to be young, carefree & soooo cute! Now Evelyns's face; do you think she might have a bit of an attitude? :) How wonderful that you are creating great memories for your family. It is fun to see how the three families have grown, you've all run out of laps!

Cody said...

Everyone is so... well, pale.