
Being the good Father that I am, I introduced my toddlers to Star Wars. Though I do enjoy the new Star Wars films, and I plan to see The Clone Wars movie when it makes its way to the dollar theater, I'm always more excited to see the original trilogy (Because Han Solo will always be cool, even if Harrison Ford is a dufus in real life).
Evelyn and Jillian play with my Han Solo and Bobba Fet action figures from time to time (I still can't get them to act out the Sarlack Pit scene and the demise of the infamous Bounty Hunter:
Chewie: Rahrar hhfjashfasrojhlhla...
Han: Bobba Fet, Bobba Fet? Where's Bobba Fet?"
(Han turns around bumping Bobba Fet's jet pack with his staff, igniting the thrusters which propel Bobba Fet into Jabba's Sand Skiff. He bounces of the exterior and falls to his death into the mouth of the Sarlack, who lets out a healthy burb after swallowing the Bounty Hunter)
Despite the introduction to Star Wars via Han and Bobba, the girls have whole heartedly embraced two different characters as their favorites: Yoda and Darth Vader, the polar ends of the force. Even though Darth is a bad dude, I think at their tender age they can sense that there is still some good in him. So I don't mind that fact that they think he is the coolest character in all the movies, Yoda coming in at a close second.
Lately, Evelyn has been exercising the psychological power of the older sibling and it always ticks off Jill. The pattern almost always follows this format.
Jillian: Eh-plane! I shee, eh-plane.
Evelyn: No Jillian, you can't see an airplane...
Jillian: Eh-plane!
Evelyn: Jillian NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AIRPLAAAAAAAANE!
Jillian: (upset begins to cry)
The other day I was privy to another conversation between Evelyn and Jillian that quickly became an argument. This time though, the subject of the argument was hilarious and it taught me not only the power of indoctrination, but th power and draw of the dark side.
Jillian: I'm Darth Vader.
Evelyn: No you can't be Darth Vader, I'm Darth Vader.
Jillian: I wanna be Darth Vader.
Evelyn: I'm the big Darth Vader Jilly you're the little Darth Vader.
Jillian: Noooooooooooo! I wanna be Darth Vader
Evelyn: You can't be Darth Vader, I'm the big Darth Vader, you're the little Darth Vader.
Jillian:(upset begins to cry) I wanna be Darth Vaaaaaader!!!!!
Here's to the big and little Darth Vader.
(Darth Vader image and name ™ Lucas Arts)
6 comments:
that is pretty funny how they were arguing. it sounds like they are each about 5 years older.
Kaden loves watching star wars as well. We just watched #6 last Saturday night after the kids went to bed. They are definitely great movies!
I sure hope you and Shaunie always have the "Force" with you as parents. You'll need it because like Han found out, that's the only way to win with Darth Vader, "Little or Big"!
Ben....this is the best blog post ever. At least one of us is bringing their kids up right. I fear that Maggie is completely lost to the light side forever. Her latest movie is Barbie in the Princess and the Pauper. Yes...it is a sad day in Texas. May the force be with you...always.
The last two posts have been awesome. Very funny.
You guys have had some really great posts lately! I love how you are gearing up for the flu season in your household! I think it is great the girls love Star Wars! When you are a father of two girls, which Zac will soon be experiencing, "you" have to find something that you can get do with the girls that relates to your interests. I LOVE that they are into the movies! I am happy for you Ben!
Let's hope you get a boy someday!
Post a Comment