Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I am now free to resume normal programming

My slice of the blogosphere has been bland lately. No one's sick, dying, or winning the lottery, so there's not a whole lot to talk about. Which is maybe why, after seven months of staring me down on the bookshelf, like Lord Voldemort at Harry Potter, I decided to finish off the Harry Potter series. I think Ben got "The Deathly Hallows" for me as a Valentine's Day gift to finish the set we own. I didn't read it then, because I had stuff to do, places to go, and Ben was at the office for 12 hours a day or more for two months. I didn't have the emotional energy, or I didn't want to plunge my household into an unkempt state. Not being able to put down a good fictional book is one of my major, bad, weaknesses. It runs in my family.
I started reading the book last Friday, and over the course of 5 multiple-hour sittings (4 1/2 hours today alone), I finished the 750 + page monster. It was great; better in my opinion than the last two where I found Harry to be an accomplished brat in a lot of situations. He had his moments in this book too though. I am glad to say I have finished the series and seen Harry accomplish his destiny. And now: I will vacuum, clean out the fridge, organize my pantry, play with my poor children, clean the bathrooms, go shopping, and cook a meal with all the food groups tomorrow night. I will no longer be sleeping with Harry Potter's frustrating dreams running through my head (I had a really weird one the other night), and constantly trying to figure out the massive web that the Harry Potter saga is (hopefully). Tomorrow will be a great day!

7 comments:

Zac and Kaylan said...

I loved this book too! So Good! My summer reading was being introduced to the Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer. I was a reading fanatic! It was awesome! I realize now how much more I love reading than anything else for down time. I promise to do the 6 things you might not know about me soon! I am just tired and so behind on my blog. It is just haunting me to get caught up :)

Emily said...

My fave is #6, I had weird dreams while reading Harry Potter as well, like I was Harry and was inside Voldemort's mind . . .Congrats on finishing the series!

The Greenacres said...

I can totally relate. I just finished the third book in the Eragon series and my house is the proof. It is almost a relief to get it done just so I can reenter the realm of reality. It was however a very joyful foray into fantasy. I was having dreams about doing magic and stuff. Weird.

The Mothership said...

Glad you finally finished the series. It's nice to have that kind of break every once in a while though. But I'm sure your family is glad you are done, too? I hope you got everything on your list done...I really should clean out my fridge...yuck.

Jeremy and Brigitte said...

Thats what happens to me when I read a new book as well. I think thats why I tend to re-read a lot. That way I am able to put the book down.

Kate said...

That's funny. I'm happy your girls survived. Kyle just started reading the first book of HP--we'll see how that goes. He hasn't started neglecting us yet, so he must not be very far into it :) Good luck catching up on everything!

Niki The Weav said...

That is why I listened to them on CD. I actually had a cleaner house then because I would clean and cook as I listened to them. If it wasn't for the CDs I don't think I would have read them all, though I loved them.