Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Called the Waambulance today?


We are all about positive and negative reinforcement of behavior in this house. Whining is probably the most annoying behavior of small children. That, and peeing on the floor, which was Jilly's unfortunate regressive habit last week.

My kids whine most when they're hungry, which is understandable, but still annoying. Ben doesn't put up with it as much as I do. We do lots of counting, ignoring until they can ask nicely, and a new strategy employed today at lunchtime.

Jilly and Evelyn: Whiiiiinnnne, we don't want that for lunch! I wanna tortilla! I want a chocolate tortilla! Waaah!
Ben: Alright, I'm going to call the Waambulance. You guys are whining too much.

At this point, Evelyn immediately stops whining and starts saying, "No, Daddy! I'll be nice! I'll be nice Daddy! Don't call the waambulance!" Jilly is just staring at Ben. He gets all official on the phone, pushing some buttons and talking to no one. He clears things up with the fake Waambulance officer, after Evelyn promises to stop whining for a while.

And it worked. Better than anything else has lately.

Hopefully the girls don't figure out for a while we are just mean parents getting a good laugh out of our kid's fear of "the Waambulance."

P.S. Totally unrelated content, Evelyn's been making up new games lately. Most recent? "Simon Says Hide and Seek Magicful Bunny Please Come Out" game.

4 comments:

Ashley said...

That's is great!! How nice you found something that works. We are getting sick of the whining here too!

Lynn Gurney said...

That is so funny! I love it when things like that work and you would have never thought of them. I will have to try this one!

Michael and Anita said...

This is hilarious! I love it! I think I'll try it on my freshmen . . . :)

Di said...

About Evelyns game...I played that in kindergarten!
Gotta love the Waaambulance.