We have had a few dandy-long legged house spiders which move at the speed of molasses, so they are easy to catch. (We do get GIGANTIC garden spiders though, and black widows, both outside thankfully). I saw my first cockroach a week or two back, and would have crushed it, but I just cannot stand the "crunching" sound large bugs make. It gives me the willies like nothing else does.
There is quite a large bunny population, and they have been fun to watch nibble on the grass in the late afternoons and evenings here. I thought they had very few to no predators around. Enter the bobcat.
There is one that prowls the apartment complex, hunting the multitude of bunnies. (He or she is very shy, hasn't bothered anyone, so I don't think they're making a huge effort to catch it). The bobcat leaves the mostly-eaten carcasses around sometimes, and it allows me to teach my kids about the natural order of things, so I don't mind too much.

Hummingbirds are year-round residents here. The last few weeks, as I came to the bottom of my stairwell, this hummingbird would fly past me. I didn't think anything of it until yesterday, when upon inspection, I found a tiny nest.
It's not more than 3 inches wide. The nest is right at my eye level, so I can peek in and check on it. So cool. Growing up, I only saw hummingbirds a few times a year, and just a few of them. So this is quite a treat. The kids are really excited and I will keep putting up pictures of its progress. I think the above-pictured hummingbird is like the one taking up residence in the garden below, but I can't be sure because I haven't been able to get close enough. Those little things fly so fast.

7 comments:
I'm working on a post very similar to this! haha! I want to come see your sweet little nest. I haven't seen any dead bunnies yet, yuck. Lots of live ones though of course! Was the cockroach in your house??
Your new camera is AWESOME!
We have silverfish here too, just in the bathroom, but they are nasty and are only out at a certain time of year (I think summer) and I don't see them that often either.
Bobcats sound scary, but what is there reputation of attacking humans? Especially if there are plenty of cute, fuzzy bunnies around? Don't let Gordon loose on it!
Your hummingbird's nest is adorable.
The only picture I can attribute to my camera is the shot of the nest - the rest are courtesy of other talented people!
that's way cool! I'm excited to see updates of the hummingbird nest.
And the bobcat? yikes. have you seen it? or just the carnage it leaves behind?
My good friend Emily ran across it one night when doing laundry, and Ben saw it slinking across the parking lot a few days ago, in broad daylight. He likes the hill we live on and all the brush cover I think.
Hi Shaunie,
Funny that the girls are asking for another baby. (They don't know the work it takes being pregnant and all) Speaking of tired- I'm exhausted! Any tricks you know of to get newborns to sleep at night????? Gordon is getting so big!!! wow-where does the time go? Glad you guys are doing well!
That's fun you have so much animal life around you. I've never seen a Bobcat outside of a zoo. We have the wild bunny infestation around us as well. They're kind of cute even though there's a lot of them.
Post a Comment