Sunday, June 6, 2010

Hummingbird update

So I make a terrible bird journalist. I've been checking on these little guys, but I finally got a picture taken of them yesterday. I took a picture of the "tree" the nest is in the top of, hopefully to give some perspective to how small this whole little bird drama is. It's the little tan speckled blob in the top section of the tree.

The chicks are about 10 days old, and have easily tripled their size. The parents don't sit on the nest much any more, and I guess I wouldn't want to either with those little sharp beaks poking my underside! I was watching them yesterday, and they were sticking their tiny, skinny, yellow tongues in and out, probably much like they suck nectar from flowers.

2 comments:

k and p said...

fun post about the chicks! But I really want to compliment you on the haircut. Ben is right. it is an incredibly adorable haircut and I love love love it!

tHe PitCheR mEmoRiEs said...

My girls have loved the updates on the hummingbirds!! They are not so patiently waiting for one to do the same outside our door!:)