Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Gone



In May, a series titled "How the Universe Works" began airing on Discovery. It was very cool, and I am kind of a nerd like that. It's trying to take basic astronomy principles, and make them understandable to the public. They pair it with cool graphics, and Mike Rowe narrates. Any way. On one episode they talk about these:
This is a simulation of a black hole, a feature of our universe that sucks up surrounding matter and light, never to be seen again.

I think I have one in my house.

It may or may not be related to this:


We have had Ben's wallet, his school ID, and our checkbook completely disappear in the last month. We turned the house upside-down, prayed, to no avail. So we watched for identity theft to show up, thinking Ben had lost his wallet at school. There hasn't been any weird activity, so we are very grateful for that. But it still leads us to question where these things went. I have found some random stuff in our waste baskets lately, and wondered why it was there. Yesterday when I was baking, Gordon got out my aluminum mixing bowls, walked over to our garbage can, opened the lid and confidently tossed them in. So that is confirming our suspicions that some of our belongings are ending up in the black hole that is the landfill.

Better the landfill than with an ID thief. Still better would be if these things had stayed in the house...

7 comments:

NaDell said...

I understand that feeling. I think my girls went through a much shorter fascination with the trash can. Vincent's doesn't seem over yet, but I'm pretty sure he's done throwing his toys away. Pretty sure. I think he tossed some sippy cups and snack bowls though. Much better than tossing the essential wallet items. Is it time to put the garbage can up on the counter? Is there room for that?

NaDell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny said...

But he's such a CUTE, naughty black hole!

Jeremy and Brigitte said...

I think our spare key went to the same place over a year ago..and it costs over $100 to replace (thanks to the stupid computer chip in the key).

I would definantly cancel all the cards in Ben's wallet and get new ones!

Ben said...

I might add that I've also found my electric razor and my beard trimmer in the garbage. Either the kid wants me to grow the beard longer, like this guy (http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/sony/getlow/)or he thinks he's putting things away. He does love to help put his train set away in the bins...and yes Jenny, he is a cute, naughty black hole. Bridget, cancelled and replaced, except for the school ID, holding out for that one since he lost the one I immediately replaced when I "lost" my wallet.

The Mothership said...

That has happened to us before, as well. Now our garbage is under the kitchen sink with a lock in it, so we haven't had to worry about that too much with Clayton. But I know that Jaren threw some things away, mostly kitchen items. Thankfully nothing major, like a wallet! Yikes! I hope you find the other things that you are looking for!

Jackie said...

That's hilarious. Blaine threw an important part to our K-Tec Kitchen Champ blender in the garbage, so the mixer part of it is unoperational. Glad to know we're not alone.