Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Last day of the epic road trip...

 ...until next summer, if I get my way (insert evil chuckle). This is the last vacation post, and I am not super blog savvy, so they are backwards. If you want to start at the beginning, go down 4 or 5 posts. I've lost track.
After we'd been in the car for about 4 hours, we made it to San Fransisco. I loved driving through the wine country, the vineyards on the rolling hills were so beautiful in the afternoon sun, I forgot to take a picture of them.
 The visitors area for the Golden Gate Bridge was absolutely packed. Bikers, tourists, irritated locals, holy cow, there were a lot of people. And it was super windy, so we were all cold, except Ben I think. We walked up the bridge part way, observing the signs pleading with people not to jump off the bridge. No problems there.
 The girls are packed in tight next to me as to not get lost in the crowd. The skyline in the background was cool, and with that wind, I can't imagine how the view could be marred by smog. We could see Alcatraz as well, and Evelyn was very interested to learn that it had once been a jail.
 In 'n' Out for dinner. Mmmm. This was in the Mountain View area of the Bay.
We stopped in Gilroy to get some 5 hour energy drinks, and have a potty break. We were driving through the night to get back to Orange County. I quite liked what I saw of Gilroy. Too bad they don't have a university there. This is a strawberry field right next to the store. From here, it was another 6 hours home. The kids fell asleep not long after 8 pm, and we drove through the quiet farming corridor of central California without incident. Driving the freeways of Los Angeles at 2 am is wonderful by the way.

Our total mileage for this trip was over 3,125 miles. Almost $700 in gas, and about $300 more for other expenses. We made out like bandits! We couldn't have flown and rented cars for anything near that.

This was the best vacation I have ever had. I felt like I finally knew why people love vacationing. You get to run (fly or drive) away from your problems! It's great! I want to do it more often. The perspective I gained from this trip was invaluable. Anyway. It has been a crazy-fun summer for us, and I was none too excited for school to start. But that's another post.

No comments: