Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Yesterday's little adventure


I have always had a good habit of locking my car whenever I get out of it. This is what I usually do: Unlock the car, get Jilly out of her seat, buckle her in, and throw the keys into the front seat. Then I get Evelyn out and put her into her seat. Then unload whatever I bought into the trunk. Then get in the car, and drive off. Yesterday, after getting Jilly in her seat, I chucked the keys into the driver's seat, turned my brain off, and locked the car. Just out of habit, but this time it came back to bite me. And our car doesn't have remote keyless entry, and no spare key on the outside somewhere, so my poor little super-mommy-attached one year old was locked in her carseat in the car. Thank goodness it wasn't in the middle of summer. I couldn't believe I did that. A very nice college student, who was in the same line as me at the bank, saw my predicament and made some calls to get a locksmith sent over. It all took about 15 mintues, for which about half Jilly was fine. And then she got really mad. When it was all over, I was out only $30, and Jilly was able to recover from her little ordeal. Has anyone else done this? I think I am just a big airhead. :)

In all seriousness, I have been very impressed lately by the kindness of strangers. Christina the college student did all the phone-calling, and stayed the whole time until the car was unlocked, and the locksmith took $10 off of his normal fee. There have been other random acts of kindness as well. I only hope I can be perceptive enough to see the chance to serve when it arises, as these people did.

No comments: