Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Enlighten me

I was just in a drugstore, and passed a group of teenage boys and girls, probably 16 or 17 years old, who were all looking at hair removal products. Seeing them together, talking about what was best, threw me off guard a little, but hair removal for both genders is nothing new. Then the subject of spray-on tanning came up. The one who knew the most about it was a boy. This made me almost laugh out loud. Then I thought, who's paying for it? You, or your parents? Am I out of the loop, or is there a new, emerging trend of teenage boys putting as much time and money into their appearance as girls? Having teenage girls who want everything new and trendy is costly enough, without my son (if I ever have one) come home from school saying he needs a spray-on tan. I will try very hard not to laugh, because that would be mean mommy practice. I can't even imagine what Ben would say.

I'm not saying men shouldn't tan, but a 16 year old getting regular spray tan treatment at a salon? Maybe, at 26, I'm already behind the times.

8 comments:

NaDell said...

Me too! Kids care soo much about appearance now. I mean, I cared, but not so much about brand names as much as if it looked nice and was modest and didn't cost too much. I guess their parent's must make too much money and they have to think of silly things to spend it on.

The Mothership said...

wow. that is funny! I think a lot of times it is just their friends, who they surround themselves with. And what you teach them as a parent about what is important--their inner selves, the fact that they are a child of God--or that they need to spend spend money in order to have a certain look. I don't think your kids will have this problem, because you and Ben don't spend money like that on salons, and tanning, etc...

Jeremy and Brigitte said...

I'm way behind the times, becuase I don't even get why ANYONE would spend money that way. The kids I teach (even the really young ones) get thier hair proffessionally done and wear the latest styles etc. I was lucky if I brushed my hair at that age. They even get thier eyebrows done!

Janelle said...

Hi Shaunie! In response to your comment about Karissa's good behavior-she definitely has her moments! She throws tantrums and has started hitting when she gets mad (I think she learned it in nursery). But, she is in general very well behaved, she can't get away with much since I was a preschool teacher! We should get together soon. Luv ya!

Ben said...

Ooh! Did you happen to hear what the best hair removal product was??!!

Di Cluff said...

Maybe they are all fans of Dancing With the Stars; both the men and women have sprayed tans AND have thier hair removed.

Emily said...

this is so funny! I had a guy friend in high school that went to the tanning salon a couple times with me, but I had to promise not to tell his friends. haha. Well, I am crossing my fingers that you guys come out here next year!

Anonymous said...

it's one thing to tan outside in your spare time but to go to a salon for it? pfft! and guy's tanning intentionally? oh jeez, i am NOT looking forward to future generations and ideas of "what's in" or the "current fashions" and i'm sure that's an age-old ideal that will never die either. blargh.
-sistah chelle