Thursday, September 11, 2008

For the girls

Now that school is back in session across most of the country, I will share a few things that I/the girls have been learning. I feel I have neglected my children in the blogging sphere lately, so this post is for them, and their grandparents of course.

If the world of hair fashion was turned over to Jilly, we'd all be walking around like this.
That no matter how cool the animals at the Zoo are, an amusement ride will win hands down. The girls thought the zoo was cool for about 1 hour, and after that complete whining and crying ensued. Thank heavens for the carousel. The look of excitement on Evelyn's face is hard to miss.

Yogurt makes great face paint, chair paint, clothes, etc. The look of glee/mischievousness is priceless. While we're on the subject of food, one of her favorite snacks is sidewalk chalk. Crayons, colored pencils and marker tips also top the list. I found out my friend's little girl, about Jilly's age, also has this strange habit. I no longer feel alone in my child's love of non-food substances.
Nothing is cooler than bringing out the clothes that have been hiding in the back of the closet for the last six months. Even if it is only a cool, damp, 70 degrees outside. The polka-dot coat must be worn.
When taking pictures, pasting completely cheesy smiles is the best way to draw laughs from the parents. Also, toys should not be brought on nature outings. See the little pink mirror in Jilly's hand? There it is....

....and there it goes. Permanently entombed in the muck under the boardwalk. We pacified Jilly by telling her the trees took it and needed it to be pretty. It worked, we haven't heard a word about it since.
Children must not develop claustrophobia until they're older. I sure don't enjoy being smashed into a cardboard box with a puffy princess dress.
And yet, how sweet is this? She knows she's the baby in the family. We call her "Baby Jill" even though she is quickly outgrowing her baby status. She's pushing 21 pounds, amazing.


And on this day, Patriot's Day, I remember those who have fought, and keep fighting to make my bubble of home feel a little more secure. May I never forget the time when terror found its way to my mind, and gave me greater empathy for families who live in lands where terror must be faced everyday. The gospel is the only way lasting peace will occur for all. From President Hinckley:

I had a long-remembered meeting with a former prime minister. He had seen much of conflict and trouble in his time. He told a very interesting story of a Jewish rabbi who was conversing with two of his friends. The rabbi asked one of them, “How do you know when the night is over and a new day has begun?”

His friend replied, “When you look into the east and can distinguish a sheep from a goat, then you know the night is over and the day has begun.”

The second was asked the same question. He replied, “When you look into the distance and can distinguish an olive tree from a fig tree, then you know morning has come.”

They then asked the rabbi how he could tell when the night is over and the day has begun. He thought for a time and then said, “When you look into the east and see the face of a woman and can say, ‘She is my sister,’ and when you look into the east and see the face of a man and can say, ‘He is my brother,’ then you know the light of a new day has come.”

Think of that for a few moments, my dear friends. It speaks of the true meaning of brotherhood.

The gospel of Jesus Christ is the only element that will destroy the hatred that exists among people. If they will bring this gospel into their lives, there will be a far greater measure of peace in the world. That is why you and I are here—to teach the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ and touch the hearts of people so that they can look upon one another as brothers and sisters, as children of our Father in Heaven.

While I may not live to see the new day the Rabbi spoke of, it is a goal worth pursuing. We all write a chapter in the struggle for peace in the world. May we ever strive to deepen the peace, instead of the conflict.

6 comments:

Jeremy and Brigitte said...

I find it very fitting that your blog about your children goes right into your blog about peace. If only we could all be more childlike. Oh and I love the fact that Jilly and Brogan are the same size! so funny, boys and girls are different. Yay for hitting the 20 lbs mark Jilly! This was a very cute post

The Mothership said...

Great post. I love that story, it makes me remember that good will win in the end, even though the bad just keeps blossoming.

Cute pics of cute girls. Can't wait to see you guys. I know it's months away, but I'm already homesick for it.

Di Cluff said...

It sure is nice to read about the girls. Thank you for writing for us grandparents. Shaunie, I really like your writing style. It's creative and fun to read. And as always, the girls are adorable! I appreciate the story you shared at the end, it's a good one for all of us.

the pachuco cross said...

you guys really make cute kids...

Jeremy and Brigitte said...

He actually knows that song so well because Jeremy and I were in Nursery since just before he was born until recently. So he's heard "popcorn" a lot!

Kate said...

Good thoughts, Shaunie. Not that Ben's posts weren't exciting :), but I am happy you came back with pictures and commentary. We are going to be in Provo this weekend for the BYU Wyoming game, so hopefully we can see you guys while we are up. Your family is so cute, and your girls are growing up so fast!