Sunday, April 19, 2009

We're alive!

We are surviving the 3 kid adjustment quite well. The biggest hurdle Ben and I have faced is getting enough sleep. Gordon is a good baby so far, the only thing was he had his days and nights mixed up until a few nights ago, and I wasn't getting more than 4 or 5 hours of sleep in a 24 hour period. So that was fun. I go to bed early, and Ben stays up with him until 1 am or so, and then he brings the baby to bed. The strategy seems to be working, so we'll stick with it. Ben is very thankfully done with teaching for the semester, so I have his help with the kids for the next 2 weeks or so. Gordon hardly cries, and is a champion nurser. He's already filling out all his wrinkles.
1 week old

For the record, the C-section wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I don't feel like I really had a baby, minus the sleep deprivation and actual baby. I was more sore from the uncontrollable back and rib muscle spasms I experienced during the surgery. That was the painful part. Not a good time for your body to teach you about muscle spasms. I'm pretty sure Gordon and I would have ended up in worse shape had we not done a C-section. The OB doing the surgery said it looked like this kid was trying to backward dive into my rib cage (feet first, hands over his head), which is why it took them a good 5 minutes to unwedge him. I was going to name him "Mud" when we found out he was breech, but he's been too good of a baby for that. 
Day after coming gome from the hospital. Jilly adores him, but has had her regression issues as well. Like peeing on the floor 6 times in one day. She wore a diaper the next day. I was not going to deal with that again.
Evelyn has been a great helper, fetching stuff for me and helping Jilly do things she's too short to do herself.

The girls have been getting in a lot of Daddy time lately. Ben took them to Temple Square to check out the flowers with Aunt Lyndsey. They got to tour the top of the Conference Center, and Ben took some good pictures for me. Every time I've gone to see the top, it's been closed. 


6 comments:

Ashley said...

Yea! Fun to see more pictures. Gordon is such a handsome boy. We would love to come and visit you, but don't want to come before you are up for it. Glad you all are well!

Zac and Kaylan said...

Congratulations Shaunie! He is so handsome! I love the picture of you in bed with the baby and Jilly. Too cute! Getting plenty of rest is really helpful in recovering from c-sections,from what I've been told :) Take care and thanks for the post and cute pics!

The Mothership said...

cute pictures. it always amazes me how fast newborns change. even in his 1 week pic, he looks like a different baby! I'm glad the girls and Gordon are being good for you, and that you have Ben around to help out! Take it easy. :)

Kate said...

Congratulations! I was so jealous that Kyle got to be there to see your family and to hold cute little Gordon. And man, he really is cute. I love his first picture, the one immediately after delivery. He is so adorable. But I'm not surprised, look at all you Cluffs. :) I'm so happy for you. What a story. Good luck with the 3 of them, and thanks for your advice about having 2. I'll let you know how that goes :)

DK Johnston said...

Belated congrats to you guys. You little Man-Child looks studly!!! One comment...you told a little about all of birthing details but failed to mention one important detail...midiclorian count... weeeellll...what is it? No need really, I can already tell that the force is strong with Son-of-Cluff.

Di said...

What a handsome man-child I have for a grandson, a week really makes a difference. I can't wait to hold him this weekend. I've thought of Jilly as a baby for so long then when I saw the photo of her & Evelyn with the Temple I was taken back! She's become a little girl.