Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Project: Get my bedroom back

I think out of the last 4 years, we've had a kid sleeping in our room for nearly 3 of them. And we were okay with it, until recently. Three kids will do strange this to you. Like wanting your own, private space. Besides the bathroom.

So we have begun debating how we are going to put three kids in one bedroom. Thankfully, it is on the large side. It will definitely be a process involving sleep training for the Gordo (I've been hoping for way too long that he would just start sleeping through the night, but no luck), making light-blocking shades, and another tent-sort of object (light-blocking) for the top of his crib so he'll sleep in until 7 am.

My question to all of you is this: Did putting babies with older children cause one to wake up more? Regress in bedtime habits? Did crying disturb the other child?

Two bedrooms and five bodies makes for interesting living, I tell you.
These pictures are from House Beautiful. I love these two bedrooms, not necessarily the coloring, but the light and space. And a place to read. That bookcase in the background? And the armchairs/couch? Totally going to be in my bedroom someday.

7 comments:

NaDell said...

We have three kids. The girls have shared a room since number two was born and it hasn't been a problem with #2 waking up at night, but that's partially because #1 sleeps very soundly. Neither of them woke up when #3 woke up either, although many times #2 and #3 would be waking at night for a hug or a milk.
Those rooms are beautiful. I only wish my room had more space and I could have a head and foot board, let alone room for a couch!

The Mothership said...

I love those pictures!! A dream bedroom, to be sure.

I think I've told you before about my kids -- they don't wake up. As for yours, may at first, but they'll get used to it. For example, when we were first married Tyler's snoring would wake me up all the time. Now I never hear it and I KNOW he snores all night long. Good luck getting your bedroom back, you deserve some space!

Oh, and I think having siblings in a room helps them feel more at ease -- not so alone. I know Gordo is not along right now, but he will probably love waking up and seeing them first thing. If he wakes up really early he might be waking them up in the morning...probably the reason for your crib tent though. Good luck! This comment is getting ridiculous!

Ashley said...

We don't have kids in our room, but we have had the office in there fr far too long and though it isn't near as big of a room as I'd like I hope to move all the office and clutter stuff out making it a sanctuary with more of a feel like those nice bedrooms. I hate having to put kids together for bedtime, so not fun. Good luck!

Cherine said...

I put Abigail in Michael's room when she was about 2-3 months. He got used to all her sounds so it didn't bother him.

Bedkes said...

Well I know exactly how you feel given how our house is the exact same. We have nights where it's a little bit rough but most the time it goes really well. I always try to work around Trey's schedule. I either have him go to bed when the others are asleep or I make sure he is asleep before I put Madison down. Good luck!

DK Johnston said...

we have been debating on what to do with Isaac too. We recently put him in Lincoln's room. Isaac still wakes up in the night and Lincoln will usually sleep through it. We are sleep training Isaac too. Lincoln has woken up a couple of times to Isaac's screaming(it's really fun waking up to 2 kids screaming)...it is so hard. It is getting better though. Naps have been harder because Lincoln doesn't really sleep anymore...he has "quiet time" in his crib. During this time, I usually just put Isaac on our bed for a nap. Good luck.

The Greenacres said...

Nothing super new to add, but my kids get used to the noises and seem to sleep better when they are both in the same room.I have to put them down at the same time or Ella won't sleep. It has its advantages when we travel. I do like those bedrooms. I really like the spaciousness too.