Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Nativity

 The girls, especially Jilly, have been making Nativity scenes during play time since we started the Christmas season. They will shut themselves in their bedroom, pull out the dress-up stuff and other needed props, and start acting. Evelyn is usually boss and tried to get Gordon to be baby Jesus, but that obviously didn't work.

Evelyn, as Mary, looks just like her Halloween counterpart, the Very Scary Sugar Plum Fairy Dracula Princess Witch.
 Gordon and Jilly don't differ much in weight these days, and Gordon is finding more opportunities to clobber her. He loves her tons.
 One of the stakes in Rancho Santa Margarita does Living Nativity shows along with a Creche exhibit each December for 3 nights. Being the genius that I am, decided this would be a great FHE activity. So we pack up the van for a 40 minute drive Monday night, enduring, "Are we there yet?"  "This is making my arms tired mom!" "Why is it so far away?", and endless squawks and yelling from Gordon. We finally see the stake center in sight. 

There is nothing but a stake center there. 
I know I got the directions right. 
Then, an epiphany: the shows were from the 3rd through the 5th. Friday through Sunday. Not Saturday through Monday. 
Duh. 
Much disappointment and fidgeting because the kids realized they would not be freed from their car seats. 

We drive home a different way, avoiding the freeway.
Stop at Wal-Mart to buy and eat an entire bag of mini-Twix bars. The children are pacified. 

We still fulfilled the goal of FHE, to spend time together. We just spent it in an unexpected way. 

Grandma Chickens gave the Nativity a needed boost today by telling the kids she would ship her kid-size Nativity costumes to us. Much rejoicing, especially from Jilly.

Now all I need to figure out is how to read my calendar correctly and how to avoid the girl's impending shouting match over who will play Mary. 

4 comments:

Zac and Kaylan said...

This is too cute! I LOVE the picture of Gordon on top of his sister!! She is in the basket, right? Oh dear! Your kids are too funny :) You need to tell me more about the paper chain you make. I have heard of people doing it I just don't know what it is :)

shaunie said...

All you do for the chain is cut up paper into strips at least an inch wide, and give each family member a pile of strips to write what they're thankful for on. Then start stapling them together. I strung our chain on a pine bough hanging in our living room.

The Mothership said...

Sorry about the bogus trip. :( I've done that before too. I love the fact that Gordo is sitting on Jill. Such a brotherly thing to do.

I like your paper chain idea. I tried to do a turkey with feathers that we would post on the wall during the month of November, but I kind of forgot about it...

The last two years we have made a chain with things to do that revolve around Christmas. "Make hot chocolate" "watch a Christmas Movie" "get a tree" and I'll even write things on there that coincide with our calender. (Ward Xmas party, christmas concerts, etc.) The boys love it!!

DK Johnston said...

That's so funny. My kids are doing the same thing. Just today maggie was draping towels over my head telling me I was Mary while I was working on the computer. I'm sad you missed the live nativity! My home ward does one every year and I always look forward to it when we go to Fallon! It really helps bring the Spirit of the true meaning of Christmas. You'll have to go next year if they do it again!