Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The West Side Story

After visiting Grandma and Grandpa, we drove a few hours to see the cousins again on the greener side of the state. Much greener. Greener than I had ever remembered. So green, that maybe if I stood still for too long on the side of the road, the plants would creep up and around me, cover me, for no one to ever find again. I was feeling a little claustrophobic. Yeah, I'm weird. 
 In any case, we took a shorter, kid-approved hike to an alpine lake. There was still some snow on the ground for the kids to tromp in. That was the most memorable part of the hike for them. 
 Ben on a cliff over-looking the lake. 
 We tried some fishing, but only caught debris in that cold, clear water. 
 Gordon was trying to get away from me and into the water for the umpteenth time in this picture. But we hiked! In the mountains! It's the first time since we lived in Utah. Then, we only walked the paved trail to Bridal Veil Falls, and I don't think you can actually call that a hike.  
At the house, the cousins ate together, 
watched Star Wars together, 
and got dirty together. 
We also visited the Ballard Locks, where we had a picnic. There was a lot to see there, more than we had time to. The kids enjoyed seeing the locks fill with all the different kinds of boats. 
Until next time Seattle. Thanks to Tyler and Nicole, for putting up with too many people in their house for a few days! :)

3 comments:

NaDell said...

I love your posts. So glad you had a good trip and I just have to tell you that I LOVE that picture of Ben with your cute little guy fishing. It's so great!

The Mothership said...

Just FYI: you are NOT weird for feeling claustrophobic. Every time that we drive over the mountains, Tyler and I both get this feeling like, "Aaahhh...I can breathe!" It's the weirdest thing - but with so many trees around, it does feel that way. I have gotten used to it over the years, but I still love driving over the pass and getting that feeling once we get to Ellensburg of no trees around.

And when Tyler came up here for his job interview before we moved up here, he felt depressed (because of the rain/fog) and claustrophobic (because of the trees).

It was so fun to have you guys here - I love having a full house! I'm glad you were able to come!

Ben said...

Ellensburg...seems like the perfect place to me.