Saturday, November 26, 2011

Tomatoes in December

 I've been meaning to get a post up of my garden outcomes this year, it being the first time I've done my own garden. And up until mid-September, things weren't looking so great. Everything, except my beets, had really struggled to thrive through the spring and summer. When I got back from vacation, I just about gave up. A friend of ours kept watering my sorry-looking plants, and once the warmth and humidity started to calm down, they exploded with new growth. So these giant tomato plants, with multiple cages to support them, are heavy with ripening tomatoes in our cool fall weather. They are 4 feet tall, and would easily be 6 feet if I had the vertical support they need.
Any one want fresh basil? I'm loaded. There's lettuce growing in the back of the picture, and I just planted a mix of flowers, peas, green beans, carrots, spinach, and broccoli. We'll see how it does through these short sunny days of winter. I'm just hoping the impending rainy season doesn't drown the garden. I would be so sad!

2 comments:

Kirsten Treff said...

I was just noticing how much your tomatoes had grown yesterday! I thought maybe you had planted new ones! This CA gardening sure it different!

Jared Blanco said...

Hooray for tomatoes!! I am trying to figure out what to plant next. We're so sick of squash. Any suggestions?