Our next door neighbor is from Florida, and a Gators fan. One Sunday, Gordon saw our neighbor and his girlfriend leaving their apartment with a big kite in hand. He interrogated them briefly about this fancy alligator kite, and then they left. Next Sunday, unbeknownst to Ben or I, he marches over to our neighbors, and asked if he could borrow the kite. And they just handed it over! Gordon runs upstairs with this big kite container and asks when we can leave to go fly it. I was flabbergasted he had the gall to go and ask for it. Our neighbors are really nice, but they don't have kids and aren't best friends with our kids or anything, so I was very surprised. We went to our favorite kite-flying spot and had fun with it. Thankfully it didn't break the one time Evelyn brought it down into the brush. :/ We put it away after that.
One day we headed over to Newport Beach (not our usual spot) to meet up with some friends. My kids watched the other kids running into and riding the waves back into the beach, and thought they'd try it too. Evelyn was most successful, she being the designated "daredevil" of the kids.
We spent Father's Day at Uncle Dan's, where Grandpa Chickens happened to be staying while in town for some business. The kids had fun and I made some really good banana bread. That week was super crazy, as I started training for my new part-time job, we were supposed to be moving, I was still babysitting, we were supposed to leave for a road trip by the weekend, etc. Thankfully it all worked out and we were able to leave on time for Seattle.
I love road trips; I drive away from nearly all responsibility outside my family. It feels great! We were headed to my brother's wedding in Seattle. We drove straight up I-5, enjoying the sights of the central valley and trying to identify the different crops and orchards we saw.
This was a sign in a restaurant we ate at on the road. Seriously California, you are super-ridiculous sometimes.
Northern California was really beautiful, especially once we headed into the Cascade mountain range. We spent one night of our three-day car trip in Oregon, visiting some long-time friends.
Captain America and Knight Gordon.
Their little girl was so cute, and not afraid of us! My girls loved holding and playing with her.
The line-up. It's fun to see how they've changed since we last saw each other. Our stay here never seems long enough!






No comments:
Post a Comment