Wednesday, March 5, 2008

It's been a little while

It seems I go through blogging "feast" and "famine." Nicole told me I should update on her blog, so here I go. I've been meaning to for the last week, but just never got around to it. I've been waiting for the late-winter blahs to end, and after last week's really nice weather, it's really blah this week. I just want spring to be here! I am very glad we get Daylight's Savings Time this weekend. It will make spring seem closer. With the weather here in Utah though, you never know what Mother Nature may have up her sleeve.
We've been busy, but when I'm sitting here typing about the last two weeks' happenings, I can't think of much. I guess it's just been cleaning up one mess after another, shopping, etc. The day-to-day stuff that takes up time. Evelyn and Jilly are becoming expert partners in crime, with Jilly becoming the instigator about half the time with Evelyn gleefully following. Today's spotlight mess was squirting a quarter tube of my Bath and Body Works lotion into the sink. That stuff ain't the cheapest. I was able to salvage some of it, fortunately. Yesterday Evelyn shut Jilly's foot in the hinge of the door, LUCKILY, she only has a bruise today. I was only about 3 feet away when that happened, and could hear her little foot being crushed. I was afraid something was really wrong when Jilly kept crying for a while, but she wasn't bothered by it at all later or today. Ev got a BIG timeout for that one. Here are some random pictures:

Evelyn falling asleep before bedtime on the couch. Ben likes to take pictures of them asleep. They always look so peaceful.
Here they are in the apple box again. Check out Evelyn's hair! Isn't she stylin'?

These two love to bake goodies. Mostly becuase they like the dough, as you can tell from these pictures. Evelyn asks almost everyday, "Mom, can make cookies?"

These two love chocolate, just like their mother.

This is the toilet game, and they will play it for 20 minutes at a time, if I let them.

Evelyn unrolls the toilet paper, and they both grab some and throw it in the toilet.

Jilly is the official flusher, and flushes every 15 seconds or so. The toilet never has time to fill back up.
After Jilly has moved from her official flushing position, Evelyn has to clean the toilet. Which I didn't mind so much, except there was still toilet paper in the bowl, and then she tried to carry the brush around the house. Umm, gross? Later she actually got it stuck in her hair. I repeat what I said at that moment, with an air of exasperation, "Gross, gross, and triple gross!!!"

Jilly is looking and acting more and more like a toddler. This picture makes her look a lot older. Who do you think she looks like? She's also getting her top molars in, ugh. Evelyn didn't really get terribly grouchy teething, but Jilly has been a different story. I'm hoping they come in soon, I think we're going on four weeks now with bi-polar Jilly. She's still cute as a button, despite the crankiness.

Here's a request for all of you with little kids. I want to know which children's authors your kids like. I'm trying to venture away from the simple 'identifying' books and Baby Einstein. The only picture/story books I've found that Ev and Jill like are the "No, David!" books by David Shannon, and most Eric Carle picture books. I need to broaden their book horizons.

Alright Nicole, I think that is a pretty good update. Thanks for giving me a little push in the blogging direction.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to answer your question by saying that Jilly looks just like Ben. Evelyn looks just like Shaunie!

Kari said...

Those pictures are so cute, I love that they are little best friends! They remind me of pictures I have seen of you and Nicole when you were young!

The Mothership said...

That was cute. I love Jilly's pigtails. SO cute! And Evelyn's hair! She has your hair for sure.
(note: Kaden says he wants to talk to Evelyn on the computer RIGHT NOW!)

As far as books:
Mary Murphy writes cute, simple books that Kaden loves. The main characters are penguins.
Claire Beaton writes cute, rhyming books. And the artwork is AMAZING.
Those are really the only two consistent authors I have found. Kaden always goes straight for the "Big Machines At Work" section. I don't think Evelyn would go for those, especially if she didn't like "Cars". :) You can go to my Amazon.com wishlist - it's not private - and I have quite a few books on there that we have liked. Anyway, sorry for the novel - good luck!

Ashley said...

Thanks for the update. Such cute girls. That toilet game is funny; How entertaining!

Chad is a super fan of Dr. Seuss and Graysen really seems to love them too. Graysen also has a lot of Disney storybooks that are quite long, but she will actually sit a listen to the entire book and ask for more. She loves those. Eric Carle books are great! Hmmm... I'm sure I could come up with loads more, I took a Children's Literature class in college, but many of the books we read are probably more suited to a bit older child, like Patricia Pollaco's books.

Di Cluff said...

Adorable! Even during the mischief in the bathroom. Hmmmm... books? Since she is Ben's daughter how about "The Gas We Pass" by Shinta Cho. There is a companion called "Everybody Poops." Not sure if Evelyn would like that one :)

Anonymous said...

oops that anonymous comment was me. I forgot to put my name in.

Anonymous said...

Your girls look so much like you Shaunie! Wow! They are so cute!

I have a friend who was an elementary teacher for a time. I think first grade. Anyway, she does a book blog for children's books and posts her latest finds. My kids always love the books she posts, so you can check it out if you like. Go to my blog and click on "Mrs. Cropper's Books" blog. Hope you enjoy it!