Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Gripe of the day

About a month ago, the battery in my watch died. Naturally, I want to get it working again. I finally remembered to take it with me shopping, and was already in Target, so I stopped by the jewelry counter to get a battery. That's how I'd done it before, like 8 years ago.

"Did you buy your watch here?"
"No."
"Then we can't replace the battery. We can't be liable if it breaks in the process."
"Well, if I open it, and put the battery in, and put the cap back on, will you give me the battery?"
"No, because we can't be liable if your watch breaks."
"You won't give me a battery. At all?"
"No, I'm sorry."
"Are all stores this hard to get your watch battery replaced?"
"Yes, I'm afraid." (By this point I'm getting really irritated).
"So where the heck do I go to get a new battery?"
"Um, there's a small shop in the mall....."

Are you kidding me? I can't even buy a freaking battery for my watch because if I put it in, the watch might explode? Give me a break.

Pregnancy does wonderful things for your patience. After this, I briskly walked to check out, while my darling daughters screamed fighting over the Dora the Explorer book we got from the library the entire time the cashier was ringing us up.

I love shopping.

6 comments:

NaDell said...

How dumb.
I bet they'll do it at WalMart.
They'll help you with anything.
Yeah, great idea, go to the mall and spend three times as much on a battery. Why not go to Radio Shack as well???
Some days are SO frustrating.

Kori said...

I feel your pain. Yesterday I had a frusterating shopping trip as well. Being enormously pregnant didn't help the situation any. Argh.

Ashley said...

I had pretty much the same experience at Target. I never did go to the shop in the mall they suggested. It seems like I asked at Wal-mart too, but I don't remember what they said.

The Mothership said...

okay. all I can say is take it to a jewelry store - like a real one - and have them do it for you.

Tyler bought me a Fossil watch for my birthday the 1st or 2nd year we were married. I loved it! Well, inevitably, the battery died, so we just decided to take it to WalMart and get it replaced. For some reason I stayed in the car (I think Kaden was tiny, and it was freezing outside). So Tyler took it in to WalMart and came out very upset. Walmart gives you the battery and you replace it yourself. Well, my watch exploded. Literally. There was nothing anyone could do about it, except charge us $60 at a jewelry store to fix it. Well, that's just about how much the watch cost. I was so sad, and I tried and tried to put it back together...I still have the dead watch sitting around somewhere. So I am never going to replace a battery in my watch again. EVER. Trust me. I will always have someone do it.

A jewelry store should replace it for you and you should only have to pay for the battery. Remember the time we went to Farr's Jewelry in IF to pick up a ring? They replaced Tyler's battery for free and they did it themselves. Leave it to a professional if you really love your watch!

The Mothership said...

Try Radio Shack like NaDell said...they will do it for you too!

Di said...

How frustrating! I'm sorry you had a bad expereince. I've always taken my watch to a jewelry store and they replace the battery. I only pay for the cost of the battery. My new frustration with this; the jewelry store here in Emmett which gave excellant service just closed its doors.